Sunday, September 10, 2006

Symbolism in the Mahabhrata and other Indian Mythology

The Pentacle and Pentagram, the secret feminine, Gnostic messages in Leonado's art works have all received a very welcome exposure through Dan Brown's bestseller The Da Vinci Code. A sign of how civilized a society is can be made out clearly by how openly it can question and dispute established social knowledge. In that the west has truly distinguished itself. If you haven't read the book already, I would highly recommend it. It may be a work of fiction but is a highly thought provoking one.

Currently I am re-reading the Mahabharat, the first time as a grown up. A characteristic that strikes me as unique is the elan with which human greatness and frailties have been woven together in the story. Thus, even Yudhistira who is a paragon of virtue is shown to have a human weakness to gambling, Drona the greatest of teachers having a special place for Arjuna in his heart above all his other students, and many more such. The moral is always not to deny weakness but to rise over it, a message that I find more appealing.

Mahabharat has many layers to it, of which every reading uncovers more of. One particular one that I find very appealing is likening the entire proceedings of Mahabharata to the trials and tribulations that every human goes through. The Kauravas here represent the hundreds of forces of Tamas, (literally darkness representing all our baser instincts) that assail us unrelentingly. Sometimes the guise these feeling assume would scarce seem to have the least trace of darkness, but before you know you have descended into a whirlpool of blind madness. Pandavs represent the five senses who are charged with protecting the inner purity who takes the form of Draupadi. And Krishna is Himself, the Ishwara, the Supreme overlord of creation, who can guide us to Victory over Tamas, if we let Him. He has granted us free will out of his own benevolence. Welcoming Krishna in our heart and attempting to absorb the timeless message of the Bhagavad Gita is the way to freedom, mokhsha and eternal Ananda.

" When I read Bhagavad Gita. I ask myself how God created the Universe. Everything else appears to be superfluous" - Albert Einstein.



Maharbharat is not unique in its use of symbolism, the Purans, Itihas and even the Vedas and Vedantas are replete with intricate symbolisms. These things are meant to be discovered by individuals themselves and these great works speak to everyone personally. This journey is giving me an immense amount of bliss, I hope it will do the same to you too. Join the Hunt my friend...

Sept 29, 2006: Today morning I had wonderful experience in my dreams. I saw I was sitting along with a few devotees at the feet of Lord Jesus Christ and listening to him. I don't remember a word of that and His face only vaguely, but I clearly remember thinking in my dream how serene his face was, alight with Divya-Jyoti (Divine Light). His dress, a robe was white. The terrain was hilly and green. I remember thinking that this was Mount Sinai, (which is strange because Sinai is actually associated with Moses and the Ten Commandments!) Anyway I feel blessed having seen our saviour, even seeing him in a dream for me means beyond what I can express. Thank you my Lord.

No comments: