Friday, April 09, 2004

Seven of Nine



If I were ever asked to choose my favorite character in Star Trek, (of course besides Kirk and Spock, my eternal heroes) it would certainly be Seven of Nine. While her looks are certainly captivating (and is an obvious reason for me making a post exclusively for her), what make her fascinating to me is her complex chartecter. Hidden behind all the those years as a Borg as the tertiary adjunct of Unimatrix one and beyond the cries of all the millions of life forms that she has been responsible in assimilating, she remained the shy little girl peeping into the bridge of her parents' vessel as they continued in their disastrous voyage tracking a Borg cube.

Seven has often shown that she is capable of more compassion then the rest of Voyagers crew, the two incidents that touched me most was, one, when she gave the Doctor her fan mail at a time when his ego had taken a beating and the second was when she comforted Neelix with the words that "Guilt is a difficult but an useful emotion".

After all what is it that makes us humans - Is it not our compassion, our own individual voyage towards perfection as we attempt to learn from each experience that we assimilate? And finally does the character of Seven not represent something ethereal, something vulnerable yet defiant, logical yet compassionate, brilliant yet beautiful, strong without being agressive. I guess if you are real lucky you get to meet someone like that in real life! I just wish paramount made this character smile a little more often in the ST:VOY series.

If she were real I would have loved to meet her ;)
--
When I had posted this in the Star Trek news group sometimes back, I amazed at the number of responses it got. Someone even said that I appeared to be smitten by Seven. Ha Ha. I wonder what to make of that!!! In any case this is the last Star Trek blog, at least for some time.

No comments: