Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Shyama: The Loving Mother
(Part II: Seeking Ma Kali)



You are there for those that have none to turn to,
Don't you know that's why I stare at you so -
In this empty and listless existence of mine,
O Mother Sarada Fail me not, Fail me not --

In the thorny pathway of life,
My heart has been shattered by thousand blows
My offering to you are just my tears
O Mother Sarada Fail me not, Fail me not --


The darkness of night envelops me, permeates my heart, my being and my soul, but I fear it not, for is darkness not the color of my Ma Kali. In this darkness I loose sight of my false image that my ignorant ego has created, the image that feels hurt, the image that feels wronged, the image that is in shackles…

In this blissful darkness I know I am free, I know I am loved; I know I am in the protective embrace of my mother. My eyes can deceive me no longer, for their tricks fail in the darkness and unseeing they look within and with me seek the liberating touch of Ma Kali’s sword. And liberate me she shall…

I draw strength from a anecdote that Thakur has been known to relate, it goes thus – During the course of days work, a mother sometimes needs to leave her child unattended. When it cries a little, she will perhaps give him some toy to divert the attention so that she can continue to attend to her work but when the child finally tires of all toys and cries persistently indicating that only the mother and no thing else will do, the mother leaves whatever she is doing and comes and picks up her child. It is in this truth that I repose my faith. And I have seen this truth unfold in front of my own eyes as my little Rudra calls out to her mother. Only that, as soon as my little angel cries, he gets not only his mom, but also grandma and dad rushing to his attention. :)

Today I felt my ma’s grace tangibly as she took me by hand and lovingly started cutting away those bonds that have been keeping me away from her, in her own inimitable and no nonsense way she showed that attachment to the transient gives is a false sense of happiness or sadness, it creates a maze-like false world where I have been scampering around like a rat on steroids in search of non existent cheese. Well, I guess one has to wake up sometimes. And having woken up, its but natural that I cry out to my mother…

With Krishna as my guide and companion, it is in Ma Kali’s dark form that I seek light anew, a light of knowledge, a light of bliss…

"She takes away the darkness from every individual who strives in the path of perfection by performing the spiritual disciplines of purifying austerities. Just as all the colors of the spectrum mix into black, yet still black remains black, so too, Kali, who is completely Dark, Unknowable, takes away all the Darkness."

Jai Ma.

See Also
Part I: Shyama: The Dark Goddess
A Kali in Every Woman: Motherhood and the Dark Goddess Archetype

No comments: