Saturday, September 02, 2006

Aw Man! Gimme a break

Dear all, please look at the lil guy frolicking below, trying his darnest to look like a planet. Just look at him, bouncing that ball around trying to convince himself that it is a moon or something. Do you have the heart to tell him that he ain't a planet anymore!!! Just Gimme a break here!



Actually since the time good old Doordarshan started beaming one or two stray episodes of Mickey and Donald, this is what I thought planet Pluto looked like. Now apparently this guy just had to stray onto Neptune's orbit and they don't want to call him a planet anymore :(. This is sooo not done folks. My entire education is at stake here, I mean I remember jumping up and down my class desk as a child to answer the question - "Which planet is furthest from Sun?" until a harried teacher would finally relant and point at me for me to shout Plutoooo. What becomes now of all those brownie points I earned... my god! the basis of my education is now shaky. Leave Pluto alone, Scientific People; he is a small guy, and it is not as if he is crowding the Uranus or Neptune's orbit an' causing a traffic jam like the one in K R Puram bridge that I have to contend with everyday.

Talking of traffic jams, I got into the Mother of all traffic jams on Friday at the ring road. In Bangalore everytime a new Government comes they just dig up all existing good roads and rebuild them, while the potholed ones languish the way the British had left them. I can't even understand why the names of the roads are still English sounding, why do we need to have Wheeler's and Miller's roads, Who are they? What did they do? It would have been OK to have a few roads after prominent Englishmen who had something to do with Bangalore, such as Churchill who was posted here sometimes early in his career, but I see no sense in remembering the various Cunnighams, Frasers and Cookes. Bangalore is a funny place, no one seems to bothered about the rising crimes, pollution, collapsing infrastructure, political inaptitude or even the rising cost of leaving. But when a highly popular movie star died the entire city was under seize by crazies who even killed a policeman for no reason. There is a simmering under current of resentment by a section of people, which manifests in weird ways. Idu Namma Bengaluru Saar, Saalpa Adjust Maadi!

A new strangeness has gripped the Nation now, to sing or not to sing Vande Maataram. I obviously feel it should be sung by all, but still I don't feel any purpose is served by forcing people to do so. Patriotism should come from within, and as long there are these sundry cleric for whom being a bugbear is more important than really working for upliftment of their community, such sensations shall always overshadow the core issues.

Meantime, what of our friend Pluto? Well here is what I say - Cuddle him, Comfort him and just tell him that planet or no planet; oblong, hyperbolic or elliptical orbit we still love him lots and always will :)

No comments: